Flickr Widget

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Old school, new school

One of my fondest memories of childhood in the 1950s is of going to the park and playing on seesaws, merry-go-rounds, swings, and slides, so naturally I enjoy taking my grandsons to the park these days. One of our favorites is Tillery Park, a historic Fort Worth park that got an updated addition in 2007.

I love this park, because the old section was left intact. In particular, the merry-go-round provides a real "old school" feel and preserves the history of the place, while all the elements of modern park design are present in the new section, which was built by people in the neighborhood in the old "barn-raising" tradition.


Old section of Tillery Park
mistletoeheights.org

Grandsons #1 and #2 in the "old school" area of the park

In 2007 the people of the Mistletoe Heights neighborhood raised funds to build a new section of Tillery Park, which includes lots of things to climb on, swing on and slide on. The funds were matched by the city.


Lots of levels for climbing
mistletoeheights.org

Rock climbing wall
mistletoeheights.org

Slides and more slides
mistletoeheights.org

Dog in a helicopter (although I confess that I thought it was a kangaroo at first)
mistletoeheights.org

Chimes and tic-tac-toe game
mistletoeheights.org

1 comment:

  1. I'd play there myself, in either section... bet your grandsons love it!

    ReplyDelete