Flickr Widget

Monday, September 16, 2013

In the store: Chandeliers by Sciolari and Greene

Several days ago, I posted about the installation of the huge light designed by Gaetano Sciolari, but I didn't give you a very good look at it. I was too busy breathing into a paper bag so I wouldn't hyperventilate after looking at the huge ladder in my SIL's photo.

The light measures 48"W x 48"D x 91"H (123 cm x 123 cm x 231 cm). It is made of brass and bronze and has 37 lighted Lucite cubes. The light is part of Sciolari's Cubic series and is in excellent original condition.

Now that the ladder has safely been removed, I can enjoy looking at the light...and I hope you will too.


Cubic light by Gaetano Sciolari

View from underneath

Close-up view

We also have a new brutalist chandelier by Tom Greene for Feldman that I haven't shown you before. Look at this magnificent piece.



10 comments:

  1. The Cubic is amazing. Isn't that the one your SIL risked his life for?

    Whoa... that Brutalist chandelier is out of this world! Where on earth did he find that???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Cubic is the one giving me a panic attack...and I wasn't even there. :)

      I'm not sure where he got the other one. Back in the early days of the store, store's relatively small inventory came from Craigslist, estate sales or the local auction, and very often I was with him when he bought the pieces. These days he gets in so much...and from all over the country. I rarely know the back story.

      Delete
  2. Dana, at the Long Beach flea market yesterday I saw what I am sure is a dark version or copy of the bronze Cubic chandelier. I don't know if I took a picture or not. If I did I will post later this week. I was floored. It was an absolutely massive piece. I wonder who will buy yours? It had to have come from a public space like a hotel or civic building... Does he know its original installation location? Just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my previous comment, I told Ton that I rarely know the back story on pieces anymore, but this thing is so gigantic that I did ask where it had been originally. I knew it had to have been in a large room with an extremely high ceiling, because this thing is 4' square and 91" from top to bottom. It's magnificent, but the buyer is going to have to have a two-story home with a huge foyer, or it's going to have to go in a business.

      Delete
  3. hi dana...I love both of them. smaller scale would certainly not be as effective. I love a bit of drama! who`s the lucky one who gets to dust it? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My SIL gets to do all the dusting...all 4000 square feet of it, high and low. :)

      Delete
  4. WoW on both of them! I'd love to see the Tom Greene piece lit up in the evening. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe when it starts getting dark earlier, I can get my SIL to take pictures of them.

      Delete
  5. Oh, the Sciolari is so stunning, so happy that we got to see some more pics. What a fantastic modernist take on a chandelier! I'll be very curious to hear where it's going, it looks huge! thanks, Dana!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is gargantuan! I'm curious to find out who has an entry large enough to accommodate it.

      Delete