Flickr Widget

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Mid Century Wood Shop

If you're looking for cool, mid-century inspired outdoor furnishings, then look no more. Etsy seller Paul from Nevada City, California, has created some for his store Mid CenturyWood Shop that are guaranteed to fill the bill.

He builds what he calls "atomic age cultural artifacts" out of a number of woods, including reclaimed old growth redwood and reclaimed cedar, saying that he likes "repurposing old timber in a modern way." He takes his inspiration from 20th century furniture and architecture and creates something for everybody...from a plain $25 succulent planter to a $1675 Eames style Adirondack chair. (He also makes beautiful, unadorned redwood and cedar planter boxes for indoors or outside and is happy to take custom orders.)


Atomic Age planter box

Apollo Space Age raised trellis

Starburst trellis

Domino trellis

Rest Stop feeder

Brasilia feeder

Space Needle feeder

Diner feeder

Cliff May inspired birdhouse

Custom picnic table

Eames style Adirondack chair

19 comments:

  1. Dana, Dana, Dana! MUST you tempt me?! I would love to have most (if not ALL) of these things in the back yard. I really love the Atomic planter boxes, they'd be sensational room dividers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones with the inlaid battening (the stripes inside, like the starburst planter has) are for indoors,so you really could use them as room dividers with plants in them. How cool would that be?

      Delete
  2. That eames lounger is a classic! Planter boxes are very cool indeed. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had unlimited funds for our patio, I'd have four of those Eames style lounge chairs, for sure. I'd really like to have that first planter box, just plain without the trellis.

      Delete
  3. Oh , I love this handcraft. The birdhouses and the feeder are mine. The idea to use the planter boxes as a divider inhouse is very cool.
    And Dana, I´m so sorry, because I delete your comment for my latest post and I don´t know why and how I managed it... Such a pitty, because I´m very happa abpout your lovely comments all the time! Warm greetings, Ria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Space Needle feeder!

      And don't worry about deleting the comment. I've done that several times by aiming for the name of the post but accidentally clicking on Delete. No harm done.

      Delete
  4. And of course I have to write more slowly without this horrible mistakes...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thrilled to see someone close to me - and I have a friend in Nevada City too! Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A neighbor almost! His pieces look so beautifully crafted.

      Delete
  6. Hmmm...more ideas to recreate.in miniature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These would be fantastic in miniature! I can't wait to see what they inspire you do create.

      Delete
  7. I'd have to put these on a screen porch. The squirrels love to chew on my wood bench.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My squirrels just tear up cushions and pillows for nesting material. They haven't started chewing the furniture yet! My biggest battle with them is keeping them away from the bird feeders. I figure they eat all my pecans every year. They don't deserve the birds' food too.

      Delete
  8. These are great! I love the diner bird feeder and the Eames chair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Diner feeder is so cool! And the Eames style Adirondacks are genius.

      Delete
  9. You are a bad girl. Why do you do this to me. WHY? Hmmmm. Too much to think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my job to give you things to think about...overload, even. :)

      Delete
  10. Omgosh these are all insanely awesome!!
    I couldn't even pick which I like best this time. *lol*

    ReplyDelete