Flickr Widget

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Pssst...It's called gimp.

And if you see it on your piece of mid-century furniture, it has probably been recovered at some time in the past.

Gimp is a flat decorative trim or braid that conceals upholstery fastening points, such as staples or tacks, and it was almost never the trim chosen by mid-century designers. Instead, they favored less fussy piping, double welt cord or no trim at all.

Scroll gimp
fabricfarms.com
French gimp
bandmupholstery.com
Gimp application
modhomeec.com
Piping
flickr.com - Michael's Upholstery
Double welt cord
flickr.com - Michael's Upholstery

11 comments:

  1. gimp?!! is too feminine for me.I like the piping anytime

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sudha: I'm with you. I don't like anything remotely fussy, so piping or unadorned seams are my choice. Even double welt cord is more trim than I normally would choose. In my opinion, nothing says "My upholsterer only likes Victorian" as much as gimp does...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before the Victorian lovers hang me in effigy (or worse), let me assure you I've seen beautiful Victorian homes...and my last home had a feel of New Orleans at the turn of the century. All I'm saying is that gimp is not in keeping with the original look of a mid-century piece. So will you put down those feathers and douse the fire under the tar? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the record - and we're not ashamed to say this - we don't like gimp/braid, whatever. Even on period furniture. There, we said it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always learn so much from your blog. Check out my new post, maybe you know something my new artwork...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dana, I totally agree with you abut pretty victorian homes...though laces, doilies and gimp seem to be a little over the top for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @LeAnn: I didn't know much about your art, but I did share with you some things I do know about what I think may be similar pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think my new chair has some gimp underneath it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. In our experience, the 80's refurbs of mid-century furniture that use gimp are usually hiding bad upholstery. (insider information)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @flourish and blume: Yes, I'm sure a lot of the gimp application occurred in the 70s and 80s, when mid-century pieces were starting to get worn and were considered out of style and in need of "modernizing."

    ReplyDelete