Flickr Widget

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Mainline by Hooker

My SIL picked up a Hooker Mainline bedroom set last Friday, posted a picture of it on our Facebook page Sunday and sold it an hour later, before we even got it up on Craiglist or on our website. That's the fastest sale we've made yet!

This spectacular set is made up of a dresser with mirror, a chest of drawers with sliding cane doors and two bedside tables. Amazingly, it has a total of 24 drawers in the four pieces!  The mirror has a dramatic, almost shadowbox-deep frame, and before the set was delivered, several customers inquired about buying it, not realizing it was part of a set.

My preliminary research on the series didn't turn up much of any significance, except a 1951 print ad. The dresser in that ad appeared to have the same pulls but no cane trim, and it had a plinth base rather than tapered legs, so the group either was comprised of a number of pieces or went through several incarnations during its production years.

This is easily one of the most stunning bedroom sets we've had in the store, and I know the new owners will enjoy it for years to come.

11 comments:

  1. i came across a dining hutch soem time back and missed it :)...i did hear a lot about the beauty of this line..this set looks simply yum ..the buyer must be reaaaaaaaaaaly happy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not going to lie...very VERY jealous that this went so fast. I saw him post it. Texted my wife, was waiting to hear back and BAM..its gone already. Excellent score and I hope more bedroom sets are discovered in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @DFWPhotoguy: We're going out of state on a buying trip tomorrow. Who knows what we might find next?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dana, just bought the exact set in San Diego. All but one piece in mint condition. I was interested if you have any information on your set you just sold. It appears that the highboy cabinet was destroyed but he gave me all the drawers (also is perfect condition). so I am looking for just the highboy cabinet with the hope of completing the set.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Dan: All I've found on the collection is the print ad I mentioned in the post. I haven't turned up a designer or how long it was in production. I noticed that there's a link to email on your profile, so if I find out anything more or run across a highboy in mint condition, I'll be sure to let you know. Congratulations on such a nice find!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this bedroom set as well, except not the highboy. I am currently using them as a media credenza and end tables in my living room. Love them! Also, I do have the matching two sided desk as well. Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think this is one of the prettiest sets we've had in the store. I love the cane and the hardware. I haven't seen the desk. I bet it's fantastic!

      Delete
  7. My girlfriend and I just found this exact set at a thrift store and immediately fell in love with it. It came with all that was shown here plus a full sized bed frame. I was just wondering how much it sold for out of your store?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure, but I think we sold the set for around $800. If you found it at a thrift store, I'm sure you got a really good deal, because that set is gorgeous.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for responding so quickly! And we definitely got it for a steal-- the complete set in great condition for $350! I'm sure glad we jumped at the chance to buy this when we did. Thanks again!

      Delete
  8. Hi - a little late with my comments but just found this through Google search. We have the dresser with mirror - original owners. It was a wedding present in 1959 from my inlaws. We also had a double bed frame with bookcase headboard that had the sliding panels that matched the dresser - woven on one side and walnut on the other, so it was an interchangeable look. We sold the bed in 1973 - it was just too small for comfort. The drawers in the dresser have dovetailed joints and wooden center slides. It's a very well made piece. I'd love to find the tall dresser that I think is called a bachelor's chest? Hooker is still making furniture, but I can't find much info either about the production of the Mainline series. Ours was purchased at a furniture store in Campbell, Calif, across the street from what is now the Pruneyard shopping center.

    ReplyDelete