Flickr Widget

Friday, October 7, 2011

Back in the day: Transistor radios

If you're fascinated by old transistor radios, I have a website recommendation just for you! Sarah's Transistor Radios, a site created by Sarah Lowrey and her husband Dave, will provide you with hours of delightful reading/ogling.

In addition to over 1000 photos from her own personal collection, Lowrey offers a recommended reading list, links to other sites about transistor radios, step-by-step instructions for restoring a transistor radio and a Feature Articles section containing interviews with people who worked in the transistor radio industry and in-depth photos of several radio models.

Here are some of my favorite radios from her site that take me right back to my teenage years. I can almost hear Paul Anka singing Put Your Head On My Shoulder.

Silvertone 9203A
Delmonico
Arvin 61R29
Bulova 720 Comet
Magnavox AM-23
Crown TR-99
Bulova 670
Alpha 6 Transistor
Petite 6 Transistor

6 comments:

  1. oi! i looooove transistors! totally need to start a collection. sometimes, when i turn on Pandora on my phone i feel like its a transistor, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay. I love radios as you know. I was seriously contemplating bidding on a Bulova Comet in white, black, and gold but thankfully, willpower won. Sometimes it does. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Bandita: I can just see you bopping along everywhere you go with your phone to your ear like I kept my transistor radio when I was a kid! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @I dream lo-tech: I applaud your willpower. The Comets are so cool! I don't know how you resisted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute. What great collectible decor items. I love the 2 pink ones and baby blue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Rhan: Aren't the colored ones adorable? The one at the top is very much like what I had when I was a kid. And look at the Bulova that's third up from the bottom. Is that a rhinestone I see? How glamorous! I would have swooned over that one as a teenager.

    ReplyDelete