Flickr Widget

Friday, April 29, 2011

The oft-ignored bench

Most people admire the George Nelson slatted bench, but it seems that the major seating oooohs and aaaahs are reserved for sofas and chairs. I think that's a shame, because there are some spectacular benches out there that deserve love too.

A quick search turned up benches by most of the major designers of the mid-century era. Enjoy!

Ebonized Nelson bench
treadwaygallery.com

Hans Wegner bench
worthpoint.com

Ib Kofod-Larsen bench
icollectantiques.com

Jens Risom bench
oneofakindantiques.com

Paul McCobb bench and cabinet
furniturefashion.com

Edward Wormley bench for Dunbar
1stdibs.com

T. H. Robsjohn-Gibbings bench
pascalboyergallery.com

Knoll bench
1stdibs.com

Alvar Aalto bench
allmodern.com

Finn Juhl bench
modernity.se

5 comments:

  1. I'm not sure why a lot of people aren't fans of bench sitting. Maybe it's the lack of a back? I must say I prefer a little padding to sit on and would love to have the Jens Risom to park my posterior on anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a slat table... Or is it supposed to be a bench? Hmmm.

    Wonderful for entrance ways, I'd love to have any one of these in my house. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Benches are divine but mine collect a devilish amount of clutter. We went with mid-mod style benches around part of our kitchen table - couldn't find any of the vintage kind. Thanks for the speaking up for them - they really set the vintage mood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love bench seating. It's so versatile. You've chosen so many great ones here! My favorites are Kofod-Larsen, Paul McCobb, Hans Wegner and Finn Juhl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. as of now i am using a lane acclaim swivel coffee table as a bench...what a collation Dana..loved the post

    ReplyDelete