Flickr Widget

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Indulging my inner bibliophile

I come from a long line of unapologetic book hoarders. I was one too till I bought this house and sold all my precious tomes to Half Price Books before I moved...in an effort to simplify, simplify, simplify. I readily admit that I had every literature textbook I ever used in college, plus copies of out-of-adoption teachers' editions for every literature class I ever taught, not to mention the hundreds of novels, both hardback and paperback, I thought I could never let go, even though I rarely read fiction twice.

Since I started writing this blog, my taste in print has tended toward reference books, and I just bought five more a few days ago: Danish Modern by Andrew Hollingsworth, Collector's Encyclopedia of Metlox Potteries: Identification and Values by Carl Gibbs, Jr., Fifties Furniture by Leslie Pina, Blenko Catalogs: Then and Now by Leslie Pina and Blenko Glass: 1962-1971 Catalogs by Leslie Pina. Three of the five have already come in, and I just have to share some of the great images with you.


A must for any Metlox collector

 Freeform shapes: California Freeform, California Mobile, California Contempora

The fourth Freeform shape, Aztec

Navajo/Tempo shape

A feast for the eyes of any Danish Modern lover,
the cover showing a Niels Moller armchair and Arne Vodder coffee table

A unique sofa in burled walnut by Alfred Sjkot-Pedersen

Hans Wegner's CH318 table, Czech designed chairs
 and a Robsjohn-Gibbings chair

Rungstedlund sideboard and coffee table by Ole Wanscher
A Blenko collector's companion

Amazing blues

Spectacular decanters

Stunning simplicity

And the good news is that I still have two more books to look forward to...

2 comments:

  1. Those are wonderful books. I did the same thing as you several years ago. After many years of hoarding books, my book case shelves actually started to sag (I had nursing books that weighed a ton). I donated nearly every book *sigh*. Although, I will always have room for a good mcm design or reference book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Krazy4Mod: It's so hard to let go of books you've had for decades, but after I retired, I couldn't justify hauling them around for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete