Flickr Widget

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Mass-ilicious

My latest eBay purchase arrived yesterday, and I was thrilled almost speechless. I knew the vase was 14" tall, but I never dreamed it would weigh so much. At first I thought the mailman had delivered someone else's package to me, and when I verified that my name was indeed on the box, it crossed my mind that the seller might have sent me the wrong item, because I wasn't expecting anything that hefty.

The thing is massive!!! And did I mention gorgeous? It's even prettier than I thought it would be, with a street scene of buildings and trees incised into the rough clay, which contrasts beautifully with the smooth-glazed orange top. Pictures simply don't do it justice, but I've tried anyway. It was sold as either Raymor or Rosenthal Netter, but even if I never find out its true pedigree, this piece is destined to be one of my all-time favorites.





I love it with the leaf-shaped dish I got the other day.  Its arrival called for another round of rearranging, which is par for the course at my house. Things get moved around many times here, because I'm always making room for something new. Eventually some pieces get packed away or sold, but I don't think that will be the case for this baby or the Fenton piece I moved back to the built-ins.




4 comments:

  1. Just a hint of orange :) I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!!!

    I developed a sort of fetish for mid-century pottery, and the 'dull', earth brown colors in particular. That warm sienna as my fav.

    Yours is perfect with your decor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Stacy Orange...who'd have guessed? LOL I'm tellin' ya, it's taking over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @1950sarh I think pottery could become my next obsession.

    ReplyDelete