Flickr Widget

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Garage sale: Day 1

Saturday: Up at 6 a.m., showering, putting on make-up. Everything felt just like it did eight years ago before I retired. Wretched. I’m not at all a morning person, and, after 30+ years of getting up and going to work every day, it's amazing how quickly and completely I was able to forget that there even IS a 6 a.m. I was not loving the reminder. However, my daughter and son-in-law, with precious grandson in tow, rolled up around 7 a.m. with Starbucks coffee and homemade muffins, which improved my mood immediately.

Even though we had clearly stated in our ad that we weren’t going to open till 9, the early birds started lining up at my driveway gate before 8. At 9 on the dot, we let them in, and it was practically non-stop for the rest of the day. The temperature was in the upper 60s, people were enjoying being out on such a glorious fall day, and there was pleasant conversation all around. We made several new mid-century friends and exchanged Facebook and web site information. I even got a November sunburn.

The tally at the end of the Day 1 was over $1000, with quite a few great pieces left and several people promising to come back with bigger vehicles and more money. All in all, the first day of the sale was a good one, and we’re hoping for a repeat today.


I thought this would be a piece that sold immediately,
yet it didn't budge, even though the matching table sold.

This is one of my favorite pieces,  but
it didn't sell either.  Maybe today...

No comments:

Post a Comment