Flickr Widget

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Lasting impression

When I mention my interest in mid-century modern design, many people ask me to explain what MCM is, even people my age who grew up in that era.  When I oblige, they’re surprised at how many of the styles are familiar to them, even though they couldn't put a label to it.

From standard waiting room chairs that borrow heavily from Scandinavian furniture of the 1950s to cafeteria chairs that mimic the iconic fiberglass shells of Charles and Ray Eames (along with lighting, tables, case goods, dinnerware and clothing styles which will no doubt become the topics of future posts), what was considered cutting edge design in the middle of the Twentieth Century is now commonplace.



Mid-century Scandinavian chairs
antiquehelper.com

Contemporary waiting room chairs
furniturewholesalers.com

Eames chairs, 1950s
antiquehelper.com

Contemporary cafeteria chairs
spaceist.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment