Flickr Widget

Monday, September 27, 2010

Dave Fetty gourd vase

Fenton Art Glass Company was founded in 1905 and produced prolifically all through the mid-century modern era. Nevertheless, their style during those years, for the most part, remained very traditional. Most Fenton glass, frankly, is too ruffly and cutesy for my taste, although they made a few swung vases I think are nice.

However, when Dave Fetty came to Fenton from Blenko in 1965, he began designing and making some of Fenton’s first limited edition studio pieces, and the company’s aesthetic began to change somewhat. Later, as production supervisor and trainer, he taught other Fenton glassworkers new skills.

Although I’ve never had any desire to own a large collection of Fenton glass, I saw a 12” Dave Fetty gourd vase about a year ago, and it was love at first sight. At the time, I had no idea when it was made, but I knew it would be a perfect fit in my 1950 ranch. As it turns out, it was part of a 2006 limited edition set of 150, but it would be right at home in the midst of some of the most streamlined glass designs of the Fifties. The bent neck gourd shape seems to transcend time and is as beautiful today as it was sixty years ago.

From fentonartglass.com


No comments:

Post a Comment